Interested in helping behind the scenes with management of NorCal Solar, specifically as a member of the Board of Directors? Then this page is for you! If you have a philanthropic heart, time, energy, and good people skills, and you think you’d like to be considered for the board, please read on.
First, thank you for your interest in NorCal Solar! We want to get to know you a little better to determine if you are a good fit for us, and us for you, so please take some time to read this introductory letter and then contact our Nominating Committee for the candidate questionnaire that we require of all prospective board members.
We have an annual board election (not always in the same month each year). For each election, the Nominating Committee recommends a slate of candidates for the ballot. If a potential candidate is not selected for recommendation by the Nominating Committee, the candidate may still run in the election but without the formal recommendation of the Committee.
If the deadline for the year’s election has passed and you received the Committee’s recommendation, we will keep you on a list for board appointment as openings become available. In the meantime we welcome your involvement in any of our ongoing activities.
In the election, the members of NorCal Solar are the voters. We introduce the “winners” - the new Board members - at the annual membership meeting, which follows the voting period.
We are a working Board (not just an advisory board). To give you a better sense of what you are potentially committing to, here are the basic requirements for Board members:
- Paid membership in NorCal Solar
- Paid membership in our “parent” organization, the American Solar Energy Society
- A three-year term
- Attendance at most or all monthly Board meetings (by phone or in person)
- Attendance at annual meetings and other events
- Time commitment:
* average 1-4 hours per week for reading and responding to emails, reviewing documents, prepping for and attending monthly Board meetings
* additional 1-2 hours per week for committee work (add a bit more time for Board officers, a lot more time for the President)
- Leading or assisting with fundraising efforts (there’s room for creativity)
- Contributing to fun and productive teamwork and to a great organization!
If this sounds reasonable, please contact us for a questionnaire. The Nominating Committee will review your responses and set up a time to either talk with you by phone or to meet in person. Some of the other board members may want to meet you as well.
Thanks again for your interest!
Elaine Hebert and Jamie Cutlip
NorCal Solar Nominating Committee
Solar Energy Resource Guide
Get your Hardcopy SERG for just $10 (+shipping/CA sales tax) Get your Electronic SERG for just $5 (+CA sales tax)
NorCal Solar Support
We couldn't do it without you!